Friday, May 6, 2011

Stocking up on 12 Packs

Most of you aren't thinking of the same kind of 12 pack I am today, because today's post is referring to toilet paper!  I made a little shopping trip in town the other night and between two stops purchased 6 12 pks of toilet paper, and I think before the week is out I'll be back to get another 2.

I started at Walgreen's to see if they were stocked back up on the previous mentioned Cottonelle deal.  Moneysavingmadness.com has mentioned this sale a while back so I stocked up on all available coupons and was able to print 6 total 50cent off one coupons.  I used four of those on this trip.  In my first transaction I purchased 2 12pks of cottonelle on sale for $5 with an in store coupon (in the Walgreens May coupon book available at the front of the store with the flyers, but the cashiers usually have them at the checkout as well) for $1 off each, and using my maufact coupons I printed off I paid $7.50 for the two and received $3 back in Walgreens rewards for my next purchase.  I repeated this transaction again thinking I'm going to use the $3 I just got towards this purchase, but was advised of something from the cashier that I had heard about before.  Walgreens does their rewards a little different than CVS or Rite Aid.  At CVS and Rite Aid your rewards print on the bottom of your receipt.  At Walgreens they print off a seperate machine, say manufacturers coupon on them and have a remit address (because of this you can also use them at Wal-Mart according to their new coupon policy) this type of rewards is known as a catalina coupon.  Because the reward or in this case "coupon" for the $3 comes from Cottonelle themselves if you use it towards the purchase its going to cancel out the reward being printed because it would be considered a double coupon.  I don't like this, but it is what it is, I saved the $3 for my next purchase and paid $7.50 again getting $3 back again. 

I saved $5 on the deal even after paying tax and $5 for a 12 pack of toilet paper is a good deal to begin with.
Then I got two boxes of fruit loops that I know very well my kids shouldn't be eating but they love, on sale for $1.99 with a $1 off two coupon.  In the same transaction I purchased a 3 pack of vhs mini tapes that fit my camcorder that were on clearance for $1.39.  The cashier asked if the tapes were a filler, but they weren't it just worked out that way because here is another pain with the reward being in the form of a catalina coupon and this issue I've run into before at Walgreens, the time the old man in line behind me was a complete jerk....because the rewards are in the form of a catalina coupon its considered a coupon and you can only have one manufact coupon per item in the transaction.  I don't know for sure but I think I would have been fine without the tapes because I had two boxes of cereal and only one coupon for the two.  I ended up paying only $1.44 for the two boxes and the tapes after coupons and $3 rewards.

Onto CVS since I snagged some toilet paper there last week and thought it was a good deal I did it again and got 2 charmin basis 12 packs and got $1 back in ECB and used $1 off two coupon.  With this I also purchased some diapers I've had a raincheck forever for and got $10 in ECB back on the diaper purchase. Paid $40.14 total but got back $11 in ECB

Next I purchased three pepsi 12 packs which were on sale for 3 for $10 and used a $1 off 2 coupon that came in a special flyer in last Sunday's paper.  AND THEN I FINALLY got the stove top that CVS has been out of FOREVER.  I had 2 rainchecks from two sales, 4 for 77cents and 6 for 88cents.  I had couopns for 8 for 50cents off each but got 10 since it was a good price anyways, paying $4.36 before tax for 10 boxes, thats only 44cents a box!  And it has a date good through next March. 

So this whole load cost me a total of $3.41 with tax of out pocket!  With coupons and my $11 in ECB I think I got myself a pretty good deal.

What deals have you snagged this week?

Happy Saving!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So I too added to my stock of toliet paper - two of the cottenelle packs from Walgreens to add to my 6 packs from Rite Aid a few weeks ago...think I am all set for a bit! The best part of my Walgreens purchases...was that after I purchased two of their proglide razors (in seperate purchases...so that I would earn the $5 rewards back twice and in the end only pay .89 each) that my toliet paper deal, along with head and shoulders deal and a couple other small items, i only paid .90 out of pocket! P.S. You must have cleaned CVS out of stove top, they were still all out when i went Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete