Thursday, March 17, 2011

Getting Paid to Shop!

Yes you read that correct, get paid to shop!  I did tonight, not only did I purchase 5 products for free, the cashier handed me back $6.86 in cash, well thank you!


This story starts last week when I had read on moneysavingmadness.com that Wal-Mart has a new coupon policy, and that the policy state thats they will accept coupons for more than the product price and that they will provide cash back or credit towards other items.  She mentioned the previous high price coupons for Purex and the 97cent travel size of the strips, as well as the $3 gain fabric softener coupon (wal-mart sells a 40ct Gain dryer sheets for $1.47 but they were out, or I'd have gotten about another $4 back on this slip!) The site recommended printing and bringing a copy of the policy with you to the store.  Okay, I'm thinking, is that really necessary?  Well turns out it is!

I want to test this theory so I get the purex travel size 2 sheet pack for 97 cents with a $3 off coupon for each and two mccormick spice packets at 54 cents each with a $1 coupon for each.  Overage.  I really like that word!  So I tell the clerk that I want the sheets and spice rung up first, I put a seperator inbetween the orders, give her my coupons, I tell her she can bag it together but I want to pay seperate.  She takes my coupons, sets them aside, rings up the sheets and packets and then continues to start ringing up the rest of my items, hello!  I stop her and tell her once again I want to pay for those seperate and want her to please ring in the coupons I gave her, I had a feeling I was getting myself into a situation.

So she looks at the coupons and says that I can only get 97cents, not the $3 and I told her "well, actually, you guys have a new coupon policy, and I understand its new so maybe you don't know about it but I do have a copy of it", so I show it to her and direct her to the line that states "Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase."  She doesn't like this and calls over her shift leader.  While we're waiting she asks me why I didn't get the larger size of the sheets, to which I respond because I wanted to get a deal!  Geez lady, seriously what right do you have to question me over my purchases, ring the shit up and don't question my purchases!  So now I'm trying to be real nice but she's pissing me off as she's talking to her shift leader about how she can't do what I want.  The shift leader goes back to the service desk to retrieve her own copy of the coupon policy, because apparently I have enough time on my hands to create my own pretend made up coupon policy to get myself a few couple bucks, okay.  She doesn't acknowledge that I'm right, but tells the cashier to go ahead and let the credit stand and ring up about $10 worth of products and then I could pay.  I told her no, the policy states I can have cash back and I want cash back!  She then tells the cashier that she'll make double notes and the blame for this will fall on her, not the cashier, as the cashier tells me that this is against policy and she can get written up and repremanded for giving me this cash back.  I tell her that doesn't make sense that she could be written up for following their policy!  So I get my $6.86 in cash as the cashier complains that this is crazy, this is nuts, she can't believe she is doing this, blah blah blah.  I told her obviously I weren't the only one doing it since all the Gain dryer sheets were wiped out already or she'd be giving me even more in cash!

So onto the rest of the order, for which I had $14.40 in coupons.  When 14 of those coupons are for $1 its hard to keep up with them on the screen though I had my eyes on it the whole time, I thought one hadn't gone through but I wasn't sure.  I look at my receipt as I'm walking off, I count the coupons, they total $13.40.  I go back to the register where the clerk is running off as I was her last customer, so I went back to the service desk, who put me back in touch with the lovely shift manager, we went back over the drawer and she was trying to match up coupons while I tried to explain to her if she just took my pile out and counted them she would see there was $14.40 and my slip shows $13.40, but she was trying to match up coupons with the numbers on the slip, after looking at 2 she said "I'm not doing this, I'm not going through all of this" and rings in a vendor coupon and gives me my dollar.  I tell her as she's doing the transaction that I am not trying to be difficult, that I know its only a dollar, but that I spend hours a week printing, sorting, and clipping coupons and I work hard for that dollar and they are getting their dollar for the coupon they didn't give me my dollar for and its my dollar and I just want to have it.  She doesn't respond, doesn't even look at me, hands me my dollar and walks off!  I know I'm difficult, but it was my damn dollar! :)

So if you're going to try this either do only this transaction or do it after your other transaction so there is no trying to apply the difference to your other order if there isn't one or its already been paid for!

Happy Saving, or Earning in this case!


No comments:

Post a Comment